Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Hola family, friends, and other random people who may or may not read this weekly letter,

Well, today marks one week in Mexico. Wow. Crazy. Here is my life:

Mexico is really not that much different from the US. Yes, the people are way, way nicer. I really appreciate that. But I could easily be in a part of California or Arizona. It looks the same as the US, and there are a bunch of Mexicans. Nothing major. I feel like often times. people highlight differences and forget that we are all people going through the exact same things. Everyone wants to be loved, to be happy, and desires the world for their children. It is the same for Mexicans, of course! The people here are crazy because they are so ridiculously nice and interested. They will literally come up to us and be like, hey, Mormon missionaries, can you teach me about your church? I am pretty interested. The first few days I thought the whole thing was a big scam. It could not be real. But it is. We do not seem to notice it in the US, but there is such a sharp contrast between members and nonmembers in Hermosillo. The people notice it, and they notice how genuinely happy members and missionaries are. Boom. It is amazing.

Joke of the week: How many Mexicans can you fit in a camion (bus)? Hahaha :P This, of course, is a trick question because there is literally no limit to how many Mexicans can fit in a camion. You think I am lying, but I am not. If people need to fit on the bus, everyone will find a way to make it work. It is nothing short of a miracle, and absolutely hilarious. I wish I could take a picture, but there is not even room to move my arms up! I love the camions, though. We take them at least twice a day because our area is pretty big. I have learned that riding a camion is like riding a horse, or like skiing. If you tighten your muscles and try to use all of your own strength to keep standing, it just does not work. But if you make sure your legs are planted, and then let the rest of your body relax and flow with the motion of the bus, you will be perfectly comfortable. Just a small lesson for the mission, and for life. But, of course, you must make sure your legs are planted in a strong foundation, because otherwise you are just going to be toppled over.

Well, mom asked me a lot of questions in her email about how I was feeling, and I am sure many of you are axious (I know I spelled that wrong. My English is literally going down the drain.) to know, so here it is:

I am absolutely fine.

Seriously.

Yes, mom, you read that right, and no, I am not lying. 

I get enough sleep, I love my companions, I love the people. I have no eaten anything from the street vendors and nor do I ever plan to. I do not find it pretty here. Deserts can be pretty, and I love them because they are clean. But here there is only sand and trash, so no, it is not to pretty. But it is okay! I do love it here. I have yet to see a structure that is not made out of cinder blocks, covered ub stucco, covered in colorful paint. Literally, that is all that exists here. :P My favorite thing is the people. They are so ridiculously nice.

My poor companion Hermana Metler has had quite the trying time. She has never left the US, and I honestly feel like she has never left the intermountain west. Talk about major, major culture shock. I am completely fine. I do not know why, because all the other American sisters love to console each other and talk about how hard it is, but I feel fine. Today I washed my clothes by hand in a concrete sink. We walk about 10 miles a day, and is it like 90º here. Oh, and it will be 130º in the summer. No, dad, that is not a lie. It is possible. I have heard it from multiple people. Whew! I cannot explain how hot it is here. 

But I love it!

The ward and investigators here are amazing. One of our investigators had a friend come over during a lesson, and she taught her friend the first lesson, she was so excited to share! It was sooooo amazing. 

YIKES! No time. Love you all!

Hermana Day

No comments:

Post a Comment